Project Shandy is open for submissions.
Project Shandy welcomes submissions and articles from contributors. We don’t care if this is your first aim toward publication or if you’ve got credits coming out of your ears. Consequently, we aim to publish a wide range of articles, so if you have something to say on any of our key topics, we would love to hear from you.
We do have a few rules, however:
Pieces must be written in English and they must be of a high standard, so please check your spelling and punctuation.
Keep the slang to a minimum. We’re not interested in the latest internet memes and in-jokes.
Your style of writing should be accessible to our readership, who are intelligent, but not always academic.
Project Shandy is unable to offer payment for contributions at this time, but will give credit to the authors including links to their online homes and profiles.
I have never been ashamed of being a feminist. It still astounds me that some women are, so I want to hear from other feminists. tell me who you are, why you are a proud feminist and give me your manifesto.
Word limit: 1000 words
- Reasoned arguments
- Evidence and links
- Pieces about your inspirations
- Representative views which include POC, the LGBT community, varieties of faiths and cultures.
I don’t want:
- Rants about why men are the source of all evil in this world.
- They’re not. Patriarchy is the greatest enemy to feminism. Not men. This is a site for the empowerment and encouragement of women, not for misandry and blaming an entire gender for the actions of a few idiots.
Champagne Style on a Shandy Budget was the first imprint of the Project Shandy label and the source of its name. We publish pieces about fashion and style, including rants, reviews, hints and tips. We are all about looking first class without breaking our budgets and bank balances.
- Your opinions on fashion products and clothes
- Rants about fashion marketing and media
- Hints and tips about bargain hunting
- Suggestions about how to achieve a great stylish look without breaking your budget or health
I don’t want:
- Advertisements or endorsements for clothing and products
- Diet articles
- Weight loss regimes
- Exercise plans
If it costs more than half of your weekly income, or makes other people feel bad about themselves, I’m not interested, so please go and read some of the other earlier CSSB articles to get a flavour of what’s been posted in the past.
The Shandy Kitchen posts recipes and hints/tips for busy people who want to learn to cook, but who struggle to find the time.
- Your favourite recipes
- Vegetarian and vegan alternatives to meat and fish dishes
Recipes must be simple, easy to follow and adaptable, as well as being relatively quick to prepare, if not cook.
I don’t want:
- Screeds about why vegetarian/vegan/meat/fish diets are best/evil/good for the soul/bad for the planet.
- Diet or weight loss plans
- Calorie counts
- Adverts for weight loss programmes
All of the Shandy Kitchen recipes are available to read the site. Although, if your recipe is selected for submission, you may be asked to rewrite it into our standard format.
SHANDY MEDIA CLUB
The Shandy Media Club analyses and reviews books, TV shows and movies, but there are only so many hours in the day. Therefore, we want to hear about what you are reading, watching and listening to.
Word count: 500-1000 words
- Tell me why I should read your favourite book, watch your favourite show or make time for your favourite movie.
- Literary and critical analysis of literature, film and TV
- Your opinions on bias, racism, sexism and prejudice in the media (fiction, news and advertising included)
I don’t care how hot the lead actor is, or how big the SFX budget was, or who directed it. So what if it has sold a million copes? I want to know why it’s a great story. Is this going to change my life? Blow my mind? Make me smile? Inspire me? Give me direction? If so, I want to hear about it.
Students are welcome to submit essays and analyses of media. However, please, don’t overload me or make me feel like I need to go renew my library membership just to read two lines. I did my MA in cultural and literary studies. If I can’t understand it, it’s not getting published.
I don’t want:
- Bad reviews
- Negative reviews
- Dismissive attitudes
- Any reviews of 50 Shades Of Grey.
I am deadly serious on that last one. But in general – if you don’t like it, don’t write about it. Plenty of other sites are interested in that sort of piece. I want the happy here, the positive, the encouragement. Project Shandy does not publish pieces by the people who want to pour cold water over everything.
Read some of the earlier SMC posts before you submit to this area of the site.
SONG OF THE WEEK
Music is a massive part of my life and I want to hear about the songs that have shaped and summed up your life. Have you got a favourite song that touched part of your soul? If so, I want to hear about it.
Word limit: 500 – 1000 words
- Stories about why your favourite song is important to you.
Your entry should reflect the song itself; the lyrics, the harmonies, the tone and mood. Also, try to send me a youtube link to the video so it can be posted up with your entry.
I don’t want:
- Take down pieces
- Gossip pieces about musicians
- Complaints about cover versions
- Articles that complain about why ‘the music scene is dead these days’
- Adverts for songs and albums
You can read and listen to all of my songs of the week on Project Shandy.
I do like to get on my soap box about political issues, probably more than I should do. Feminism has already been mentioned here, although the other hot topics at Project Shandy include:
- Mental Health issues
- Writing in general
- Whatever stupid decision the Government/Oppositon made this week.
If you’ve got a piece inspired by one of my entries which just isn’t done justice by a comment and you think it belongs here, then send it in and we’ll take a look. It will have to be pretty spectacular to get posted though, since this is my soap box and I don’t like to share.
SPECIAL CALLS FOR SUBMISSIONS
Project Shandy does occasionally run special calls for submissions. These will be posted here as they open with more information about the subject.
To submit to Project Shandy, please fill out the contact form below:
Upload your submission as a pdf, doc or docx file.
Please provide a short summary of your piece on the message box.
Please allow 4 weeks before chasing a submission. Project Shandy is a one woman show, and this woman is busy!
Simultaneous submissions are accepted. However, please don’t send me articles that have been published elsewhere. Copyright is a messy issue.
Project Shandy is a UK based website. However, submissions are accepted from anywhere in the world, so long as they are written in English.
Project Shandy does not pay for submissions. We will include a link to your website/social media network of choice, as well as giving you the option of a brief bio if your work is published.